First Holy Communion
A child's readiness for the celebration of the sacrament of First Communion will be judged using the following criteria:
- Desire to receive the Eucharist
- An awareness of the significance of participating in Sunday Eucharist
- An understanding of the Eucharist as the real body and blood of Christ, that what appears as bread and wine are actually His living body
- An awareness of God's action of grace in their lives and of their responsibility to be in a state of grace to receive the Eucharist worthily
- An awareness of God's invitation to be His child and friend
- In addition, child(ren) must attend Mass on Saturday Vigil or Sunday
- Awareness of the main events of Jesus' life
2013 Date: March 4, 11; April 8, 15, 22, 29
First Holy Communion practice is Thursday, May 2, 2013 from 6:30 pm to 7:45 pm in the Church.
Celebration of First Communion:
Sunday, May 5, during any Mass. Please arrive at the Church 30 minutes before Mass begins.
Please review these important guidelines:
- Child must be at least 7 years old to begin preparation process.
- Child must be baptized in the Catholic Church.
- Child must have attended and completed one full year of CCE or Catholic school during the 2011-2012 school year.
- Child must be currently enrolled in CCE.
- Child must attend CCE weekly. (More than 3 unexcused absences will result in postponement of sacrament.)
- Child must have received First Reconciliation.
- Family must attend ALL required First Holy Communion preparation classes.
- Family must attend Saturday Vigil or Sunday Mass every week.