A child's readiness for the celebration of the sacrament of First Reconciliation (Confession) will be judged using the following criteria:
- A trust in God's forgiving love
- A sense of self-worth, a self-image based on a good relationship with God
- A sense of belonging to the Church community
- An understanding of forgiveness, a desire to receive and give forgiveness
- A sense of right and wrong and of the reality of evil
- Knowledge of sin, an ability to describe wrong doings in his/her own words
- A desire for reparation, to make amends for wrongs done to God, to others
- An ability to make a good examination of conscience
- Knowledge of how to confess sins to a priest
- An ability to say "I'm sorry," to express a sense of repentance, contrition, metanoia (change of heart)
- Awareness of God's gift of grace
- Ability to pray an Act of Contrition
- Understanding of the need for continual conversion and renewal
- Knowledge of the Sacrament of Reconciliation and the Rite of Penance, individual and communal
2012: October 22, 29; November 5, 12, 19, 26; December 6
Sacrament of Reconciliation will be on Saturday, December 8 and Wednesday, December 12, 2012 in the Church.
Please review these important guidelines:
- Child must be at least 7 years old to begin preparation process.
- Child must be baptized in the Catholic Church.
- Child must have attended and completed one full year of CCE or Catholic school during the 2011-2012 school year.
- Child must be currently enrolled in CCE.
- Child must attend CCE weekly. (More than 3 unexcused absences will result in postponement of sacrament.)
- Family must attend ALL required First Reconciliation preparation classes.
- Family must attend Saturday Vigil or Sunday Mass every week.